URI GreenSkills Program Manager
The Urban Resources Initiative (URI) –is looking for an energetic individual to join our team and lead our GreenSkills public tree planting and green jobs program.
The responsibilities of the role:
- Lead the planting of 500+ street trees for New Haven residents via a community-driven, request-based model
- Supervise and/or lead outreach to potential new tree requesters
- Procure landscape-grade trees from wholesale tree growers
- Manage the communication with tree requesters
- Manage the logistics and scheduling of two tree planting seasons (spring and fall)
- Monitor and evaluate the success of the tree planting initiatives
- Supervise and mentor the GreenSkills Field Crew Associate (full-time employee)
- Train and mentor Yale interns in URI’s model of community forestry via our street tree planting and pruning program
- Manage URI’s partnership with EMERGE CT, a local social enterprise with a mission to support recently incarcerated individuals in their return home with jobs, job skills, and wrap-around services
- Manage the maintenance and upkeep of New Haven’s street tree inventory system
This role is for you if:
- You are passionate about urban and community forestry, environmental justice, and believe that local-scale environmental efforts can make a big difference in people’s lives and communities
- You are excited to build relationships with many different members of the New Haven community
- You can work independently, and handle project management efficiently
- You are comfortable working in a small team within a large institution, and, like us, believe that no task is too small or too big for you
- You are confident and respectful in your interaction with stakeholders, from students, staff, faculty, to New Haven residents, community partners, and planting crew members
- You follow through and can adjust your course of action based on feedback
- You are looking for a job that is equal parts field work, program management, and mentorship
Required Qualifications & Skills:
- Must be an independent worker, punctual, and responsible. Highly motivated and energetic; must possess initiative.
- Excellent tree identification for Southern New England native trees and frequently planted street trees. Strong knowledge of species growing conditions and experience siting species for planting.
- Excellent data management skills. Strong organizational skills, including attention to detail. Demonstrated ability to handle diverse, simultaneous tasks and attend to follow-through.
- High level of proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and other web-based tools (i.e. GIS Software, like ESRI suite).
- Demonstrated ability to develop relationships with a diverse group of constituents. Strong oral and written communication skills with exceptional attention to detail. Conversational Spanish speaking skills, preferred.
- Understanding of group dynamics. Experience with teaching or training others. Demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a team.
Required Education and Experience
Master’s degree in Urban Forestry, Forestry, Environmental Studies/Science, Ecology, Urban Planning, or related field and minimum of two years of related experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience
Required Licenses or Certifications
- Valid US and/or Canadian driver’s license
- ISA Certified Arborist License or ability to receive by August 30th (Note: URI will pay for ISA certification test and license)
- Ability to conduct field work in year-round New England weather conditions
New Haven, CT. This job is in-person.
To apply: Please submit your resume and a short (less than one page) statement of interest including relevant experience to Yale Human Resources and to Colleen Murphy-Dunning (Colleen.Murphy-Dunning@yale.edu)